Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ray of Hope

Throughout this story, you find a lot of suffering, tragedy, abuse, and sadness. It seems like the story will not have a happy ending.Though strategically, Alice Walker puts in a ray of hope in random parts of the story. One of the rays hope that caught my eye was Nettie meeting with the missionaries, Samuel and Corrine. Not only is Nettie free from abuse and suffering, she also is taken to Africa to become a caretaker for the missionaries adopted children. While taking care of the children, she finds out that the children are Celie's children. Then Nettie writes Celie letters to inform her about her discovery. This section of the story gives a ray of hope for Celie to be reunited with her children again. This also gives the reader hope and lifts up their spirit. This personally happened to me, and drew me into the story even more. I began to read more for a specific purpose, which was to read about Celie's reunion with her children.

1 comment:

  1. I somewhat agree with you on the aspect of "ray of hope" it reminds me of the other book had to read for this class: Secret Life of Bees. I think Walker did it becuase Celie's life was so tragic. She had no say in anythign that went on in her life, adn I think that she would put little hopeful pieces of information so that the readers would continue in. Becuase to be honest I'm not sure I'd want to read the entire book, and if I did it would take me forever because there were things that went on that no one should ever have to face. Just like with Celie finally finding out that her "pa" wasn't her "pa" at all..which lifted a spirit of asham off of her because he had raped her and got her pregnant.

    ReplyDelete