Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mr. ______

The fact that we do not know Mr. ______ last name alludes to the fact that maybe he is someone who's name we do in fact know, and perhaps must be censored. I tried to do research on why his name was left out, but could not find anything. However, it got me thinking that if that was the case, and it very well could have been, then Celie was not the only person (woman) living this way. The novel shows us that, and does not try to make it seem like she is the only African American Woman being treated this way, however she was the only one on my mind while I was reading her story. When I think about this whole story in the context that perhaps it was many African American women's reality, that makes it all the more heartbreaking. Suffering did not end with slavery, and that is something this book clearly points out.

No comments:

Post a Comment