Monday, April 18, 2011

Blog 10

Blog 10 ---- Final thoughts about The Color Purple ---- Overall the book was nothing like I expected. I had been recommended this book by countless people and was quite surprised with the usually sad and harsh storyline. I was immediately drawn to Celie and I am sure everyone automatically feels bad for her. Her life seems to be tragedy after tragedy. After the first twenty or thirty pages I barely wanted to keep reading the book, let alone finish it. Alice Walker did a great job with character description by the way she had Celie write letters to God. Celie described all of the people she came in contact with in a personal and real way because she was supposedly talking to God. I really enjoyed the way the book was written. It was impressive that Celie's part was written in broken English and Nettie's letters were opposite. The different styles definitely kept my attention. The storyline also had so many twists that I was not expecting. I was never bored with the book, I was either happy for the characters, sad, or feeling whatever emotion they were going through. The writing and storyline are what makes the book such a great read. There was also so much symbolism and underlying thematic material that can be taken so many ways. Overall I did not enjoy the book as much as I expected to, but to be fair I was expecting something much different. After reading The Secret Life of Bees, this was definitely more of a shock!

1 comment:

  1. I was surprised by the book as well. Somehow I'd managed to never hear the story. I was struck by how powerful the relationships are in the book, both the good and the bad.

    ReplyDelete