Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Attraction vs. Fear

“He beat me today cause he say I winked at a boy in church. I may have got somethin in my eye but I didn’t wink. I don’t even look at mens. That’s the truth. I look at women, tho, cause I’m not scared of them. Maybe cause my mama cuss me you think I kept mad at her. But I ain’t. I felt sorry for mama. Trying to believe his story kilt her.”

While this quote may seem to be an early indication that Celie doesn’t like men, I think it is more an explanation of WHY she does not like men. I do not think Celie is not attracted to men because she is homosexual, or because she feels more for women than for men, but because she is afraid of men, and when true, raw fear of something exists, it is extremely hard to feel attraction to that thing. Instead, you would want to shy away from what you are afraid of. That is exactly what Celie does, choosing instead to be attracted to women.

No comments:

Post a Comment