Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blog 2

Blog 2: Shug's view of God ---- Shug and Celie have a conversation about God around page 195. The conversation was one of the most interesting parts for me, and it was one of the only times that God is actually spoken about in detail. Shug explains to Celie that once you realize you are a sinner but that God still loves you, you try to please him with whatever you like in life. "Us worry bout God a lot. But once us feel loved by God, us do the best us can to please him with what us like" (194). Celie finds it hard to believe that Shug thinks she is loved by God without having to do anything for him. Celie tells her that it sounds like blasphemy. The most impactful part of the book, to me, was the next few lines: "She say, Celie, tell the truth, have you ever found God in church? I never did. I just found a bunch of folks hoping for him to show. Any God I ever felt in church I brought in with me. And I think all the other folks did too. They come to church to share God, not find God" (194). I think this statement not only rings true for the characters in the book, but also for the church today. There are a lot of people who go to church and make God look like whatever they want him to look like. But there are also a lot of people who don't even realize that God isn't showing up in their church because they aren't inviting him. I love that the characters in the book saw this, even though they seemed to be looking for excuses for their sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment